Thursday, April 22, 2010

Drama-rama

I just hate women.

Hypocritical, perhaps, as I am one myself. But, simply put, we are just bitches.

My pharmacy manager is currently causing a bunch of drama because she has the habit of treating most of her techs (and students, like moi, occasionally) like they are pieces of shit. If someone does one thing differently than she does, it's "wrong" in her eyes and she is known to go off on them far past the point of being respectful.

She's only in the store in the first place because she wants to move on up the administrative chain, and she makes it pretty clear. She complains about her job constantly; she's flustered as soon as we're busy enough that no one is standing around doing nothing; she pages the front store for "register assistance" nearly every time we get even a small rush - and the patient is helped by the time the front store even gets back there. And she has a tendency to turn on you in a heartbeat and make you feel like a moron if you mess something up.

While she's nice to me because I know what I'm doing, I also have five years of pre-pharm/pharmacy school under my belt. A technician is not "stupid" simply because they don't know something that she or I have learned in school. One of our technicians, a really sweet girl, just started about 6 months ago with no previous experience. She has great customer service and already can handle typing in prescriptions and handling most minor insurance problems. This is progress, yes? How does my pharmacist expect her to know everything in a week when she's never even been in a pharmacy before?

It's easy to take for granted what you've learned in school and on the job, and it's easy for pharmacists to act like they're high and mighty and holier-than-thou. I will do everything I can to ensure that I will not be that kind of pharmacist. You can't run a pharmacy without your techs, and while you need to certainly put your foot down sometimes, you as pharmacist have NO right to treat your technicians like they are idiots simply because they don't have the knowledge that you do.

Our store is losing technicians because of her behavior, and I'm glad. My pharmacist needs to learn that there are repercussions for her actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment