Thursday, April 8, 2010

-sigh-

I used to work for an optometrist. Served as a secretary of-sorts, and was the person who put a puff of air in your eye, which everyone hated. And the optometrist I worked for, while a nice guy whom the patients loved, didn't really know what he was doing in regards to prescribing medications. Thank goodness these people don't have DEA #s.

Called one up yesterday since we couldn't find her in our computer system - she was a new girl right out of school. Since she has no DEA #, I needed some sort of identifying number so Anthem could process the claim. So, I called them up and asked for the NPI number. I was put on hold, and then -

Office gal: "Sure, it's 12345678B."

Me: "No, that's not it, that's her license number. NPIs don't have letters. It should be 10 digits."

I was put on hold (again) for a minute or two, then:

Office: "Well, she isn't here, and we don't have it."

Me: "How do you process insurance claims if you don't have the NPI number?"

Office: "So..this can't wait until tomorrow?"

Me: "The patient is waiting. I can tell him that it will have to wait, but I doubt he'll be happy."

Back on hold.

They finally found it, but sheesh. I had my OD's NPI memorized, for crying out loud. I'm not sure how anything is getting done over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment